Thursday, July 25, 2013

What message are we sending our kids?

Scott brought home a book from the library tonight.

At first, he showed me the book, and I read CLEANING HOUSE. My first reaction, "What, don't you think our home is clean enough?", to which he replied, "Read the rest of the title". Opps.
 "Cleaning House...A mom's 12 month experiment to rid her home of youth entitlement" by Kay Wills Wyma. Oh. I see.

We have talked a lot about having our kids help out more around the house (and often discuss this issue with other parents). They are smart kids, and we know they are capable, but as all parents do...we hum and ha over what is best...allowance or not, chores or not...I hope this book gives us some inspiration.

Over the past few weeks our oldest son, who is 9, has taken a real liking to cooking. He gets up early to make pancakes, asks to make dinner, wants to create his own smoothies, and bake cookies every day. At first, I was hesitant...I know that he can read the recipe and we have taught him how to properly use a knife...it is just that when I am making meals, it is easier for me to just do it myself.

Same with cleaning I suppose...it is much easier just to do the job and get it done right...
but what message am I sending my kids? Are they going to expect this from me forever? Yikes.

I will keep you posted on what we find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment