Saturday, March 3, 2012

Forks Over Knives


This picture tells it all. 
At first, I thought it was going to be a book about eating only foods that you can with a fork, and not foods that you need to cut with a knife. My second thought was that I was going to read a vegetarian diet telling us not to kill animals for food. But when you take a closer look at the picture, you can see it is not a regular knife used for eating food, it is a scalpel.

Ahhhh, now I see...the fork is food, and the knife is medicine and surgery. 

The book focused a lot on the importance of a plant based diet, and reminded me very much of a documentary I watched with Scott called Food Inc. I really believe this message to be true, although they did not talk a lot about exercise, which is just as equally important as food to our bodies. We really should be eating plant based whole foods, and animal protein only sparingly.

I did feel guilty after reading this book. I feel badly about the sugar and fast food that my kids have consumed, because I know those are my decision as their parent. Well, enough guilt...it is time to move on and create healthier options all the time. I know that it is pure laziness on my part if we eat already prepared meals, or have to go out for fast food because I don't feel like cooking. Granted, there are days like this, but maybe the option can be to do something simple from home, where we know what is going in the food!

All in all, an eye opening read, and there were a ton of recipes at the back. I tried a few, and was inspired to really take a look at our weekly menu. The largest challenge is finding food ideas that the kids will love, and getting them to "just try it".

No comments:

Post a Comment